Fashion Jewellery Care Tips
Fashion jewellery does tarnish, darken or become dirty over time if it is not cared for lovingly. A little time and effort put in to taking care of your jewellery means it will retain its lustre, sparkle and good condition!
- Last item on, first item off - when you get dressed, put your jewellery on last. In the evening, your jewellery should be removed first.
- Household chores - never wear your jewellery when you wash dishes, clean, do laundry, ironing, etc. The harsh chemicals, bumps/knocks/scrapes, heat and steam or hot water are extremely damaging to jewellery.
- Gym - if you love going to the gym, remove your jewellery before you work out. Sweat, bumps/knocks/scrapes and gym equipment all damage jewellery.
- Swimming (pool or sea), spa, shower/bath - ensure you remove your jewellery before doing any of these activities as the chlorinated water, salt water, heat, steam and moisture damage any jewellery.
- Make up, face creams, body lotions, perfume and hairspray - only put your jewellery on after you have used make up, creams/lotions, perfume or hairspray to ensure that the jewellery does not tarnish. Remove any jewellery before taking off your make up.
- Clean all your jewellery before storing it - apply a little dish detergent to a soft bristled toothbrush, dampen the toothbrush with tap water and then very carefully scrub off any dirt or marks. Dampen a soft cloth with tap water and clean off the dirt, marks and detergent. Gently pat or wipe the jewellery dry using a soft dry cloth or tissue paper.
- Correct storage of fashion jewellery is essential - the best way is to put the individual jewellery items in ziplock plastic bags, as they are airtight. Then place the little bags in a jewellery case or other container, away from sunlight.
- Never use jewellery cleaner on fashion jewellery - most fashion/costume jewellery is gold or silver-plated and will be ruined by the harsh chemicals contained in jewellery cleaner.